Cat and Dog Spay and Neuter in Dallas, TX
At Rutherford Veterinary Hospital in Dallas, TX, we provide individualized service for dogs and cats with spay and neuter surgery. Through membership with the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), we follow strict surgical guidelines. Some of the safety measures we take include running pre-anesthetic tests and monitoring vital signs throughout surgery. Since the ideal time for cat and dog spay and neuter surgery can vary, we also closely consult with pet owners on this important surgery.
In General: When Cats and Dogs are Spayed or Neutered
As soon as you adopt an intact dog or cat, schedule an exam to receive a pre-surgical consultation. This gives us time to check for any underlying conditions that may interfere with anesthesia and advise you on when you should schedule surgery. In general, female pets should be spayed before their first heat cycle. Male kittens may be neutered as young as five months old, while male puppies may need to wait until they’re fully mature.
The timing of spay and neuter surgery is dependent on several factors:
- The breed and size of your puppy. Small breeds may be eligible for surgery as young as five months old, while larger breeds should wait a bit longer.
- The lifestyle of your pet. If your cat or dog spends long periods of time outside, they should be spayed or neutered before maturation.
- How important the medical and behavioral benefits of spay and neuter surgery are to you. The likelihood of developing many issues are reduced when the surgery is performed early.
The Benefits of Spay and Neuter Surgery
When spay and neuter surgery is undergone before dogs and cats are sexually mature, behavioral and medical benefits are increased. In turn, you and your pet will enjoy a higher quality of life. Behavior problems like roaming tendencies can be reduced or avoided altogether. Pets are less likely to become lost or injured, and you won’t need to spend as much time worrying.
Female pets enjoy benefits from being spayed including:
- The number of unwanted pregnancies is reduced
- Ovarian and uterine cancers are less likely to develop
- Mammary gland tumors are less likely to develop
- Roaming tendencies are reduced
- The stress from heat cycles is eliminated
Male pets enjoy benefits from being neutered including:
- Prostate problems are significantly reduced
- The chances of developing testicular cancer are eliminated
- Roaming tendencies are reduced or eliminated
- Urine spraying behavior is reduced or eliminated
- Mounting behavior is reduced or eliminated